Plate hoist

Tue, 30 Apr 2002 07:32:55 -0500

Terry,

At 07:58 04/30/2002 -0400, you wrote:
>What if the boat was pitching?

> > As I recall,  the term chainfall was used in the Navy. The falling part
> > gets even more interesting when the ship is rolling. (you had to use
> two to
> > limit the load swinging...)

On a 700'+ ship there wasn't much pitch, but if there were enough lift
points we would use three.
That way the only swinging was at the hook/clevis.  Really nice if you're
playing with a 500# propellor shaft bearing cap. (24" bearings are heavy...;-)

Conrad Hoffsommer - mailto:hoffsoco@luther.edu

College: The place where you have three options--to sleep, to study, or to
party - but only get to pick two per semester.