Sharing, and proprietary methods

Wed, 31 Jul 2002 21:21:09 -0700

I think it's difficult to come up with hard and fast rules for proprietary
information.  I tend to be fairly generous with my time and information when
I have something to offer or if somebody asks me a question directly.  But I
would be lying if I said that there weren't things that I prefer to keep to
myself.

There was a time when technicians benefited from an apprentice arrangement
and the knowledge of the master craftsman was passed on.  That situation
doesn't exist so much anymore.  At the same time, journals, conventions and
lists such as this have taken their place.  Thus the sharing of information
seems inevitable due to the larger pool and more efficient means of
communication.  Most proprietary information is short lived.  We both want
to keep our findings secret and show the world what we've found.  Most of
the time, our desire to show the world what we've found wins out.

The things I consider proprietary are usually those things that I've worked
the hardest to learn about.  And, to be honest, I'm most inclined to share
that information when I see others trying to sell it or license it.  There
are times when leveling the playing field benefits all of us.

Most of what will guarantee our success has nothing to do with that small
proprietary secret anyway.  Rather, it is committing ourselves to
excellence, never assuming we know it all, and maintaining good
relationships with our customers and colleagues that gives us the edge.

David Love