CA gluing Grand Pinblocks....My take on it/ Richard Brekne

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Thu, 1 Aug 2002 07:58:55 -0400

Comments below:

Terry Farrell
 =20
----- Original Message -----=20
From: "Richard Brekne" <Richard.Brekne@grieg.uib.no>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Thursday, August 01, 2002 4:52 AM
Subject: Re: CA gluing Grand Pinblocks....My take on it/ Richard Brekne

> Farrell wrote:
> >=20
> > Yeah, we are closer. My terminology may be less than ideal. I think =
the proper term to use >rather than shear force is shear stress. My =
terms are coming largely from my graduate >studies in structural geology =
(a few years back now!) - but forces are forces, and stresses >are =
stresses.=20
>=20
> I dont think I have a problem separating shear force with
> stress here. Thats cool. I think actually thats the
> distinction I am making by insisting on clarifying the
> difference in using the words "between" an "on" in this
> context. (ie shear force between, and shear force on.)=20
>=20
> >If it is not compression, and it is not tension, and you are talking =
about two parallel >planes of reletive motion (or force), then you have =
a shear stress.
> >=20
> > That is, of course, if I remember correctly!  ;-)
>=20
> Shear stress is not just two parallel planes of relative
> motion or force...  this is shear only when the stress
> itself is parallel to those planes. Says much the same thing
> as you do above I guess, but perhaps makes it easier to
> avoid misunderstanding ?

I don't follow 100%.
=20
> In the case two plates coupled by a nail, the nail will be
> under shear stress, and whatever shear stress is apparent on
> the plates is only at the nail, exactly at and parallel to
> the cross section of the nail.  Yes ?

Yes. This assumes the plates are coupled together only at the nail.
=20
> In the case of two plates coupled by being pressed together,
> fricton takes the place of the nail above and the result is
> shear stress exerted ON the two surfaces. The amount of
> shear stress here is dependent on the net angle of the sum
> of the forces involved... no ?? (We use vectors for this
> kinda thing eh ? )

100% Yes. This is the elementary example. This is just like two rocks =
trying to slide past one another - shear stress on the faces of the two =
rocks.
=20