school or home course

A440A@AOL.COM A440A@AOL.COM
Fri, 2 Aug 2002 07:46:23 EDT

> Is attending a school better than a mail order course?

   Yes.

>> ....or over time would I learn the same things just getting on the job
>> experience?

   If you just "learn over time", your time will be over just as you learn
enough to make it worthwhile.
A formal course of instruction is certainly the way to get there fastest, but
even then, you will need several years of applying what you learned before
you can really be confident of your expertise.
    I went to the North Bennett Street School in 1976 and even then, it took
several years of work before I had competitive chops, (at least, on the
national level).
    If you want to be a fully developed technician, there is no better way
than immersing yourself in a full education.  A year in Boston's North End
is, imho, the ultimate way to start a career.
Regards,
Ed Foote RPT