Musical Soundwaves

David Smith dsmith941@hotmail.com
Fri, 02 Aug 2002 08:59:21 -0500

Terry, although I am a rookie's rookie as a piano technician, I do have
education and experience in acoustics and engineering, so here is my shot at
your querry.

When different instruments or voices produce the same fundamental tone, they
all differ in many other ways which our ears interpret for us.  For example,
differences in attack (beginning of the sound), release ending of the
sound), frequency content (overtones, etc included in the sound in different
proportions), degree of inharmonicity, vibrato, phasing as it reaches the
two ears, and probably on and on.

Having spent many years workng with frequency and fourier analysers in a
previous life, I noticed that many things can sound indistinguishable from
each other, if you filter out the attack and just listen at a filtered
fundamental frequency.  It is all the other "small" things that make all the
difference.

Hope this helps without offending due to my simplistic thoughts.  Somewhere
in my moldering boxes of books is a rigorous explanation which I would be
happy to dig out if no one else fills that need.

Dave Smith