Musical Soundwaves

A440A@AOL.COM A440A@AOL.COM
Fri, 2 Aug 2002 13:05:38 EDT

Greetings,
combining several posts:
Bill writes:
>Why does Terry's voice sound like his instead of his wife's? The
>answer doesn't lie in the proportions of the lower eight or sixteen
>partials but in the entire spectrum of acoustical energy delivered by
>the particular instrument, as the human being plays it.

   The full spectrum isn't necessary to tell one voice from another.  The
telephone only transmits frequencies between (I think), 50Hz -800Hz, but that
is sufficient for us to recognize individuals voices.
Regards,
Ed Foote RPT

Ron writes:

>>The reason why A440 sounds like A440 on a piano, voice and mandolin,
>>is that our ear locks onto the lowest frequency, the fundamental, to
>>identify the pitch of the note.

it was my understanding that the ear recognizes the pitch of a note by using
the separation between frequencies as a "harmonic sequence" to discern the
fundamental.  In fact, it has been shown that a synthesized "note" of the
2nd, 3rd, 4th, etc. partials, in the order of 200, 300, 400, etc. causes the
ear to hear the fundamental of 100, even when it is not present.
Regards
Ed Foote