Musical Soundwaves

Fri, 2 Aug 2002 12:03:32 -0700

----- Original Message -----
From: "Farrell" <mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: August 02, 2002 10:54 AM
Subject: Re: Musical Soundwaves

> Interesting responses. Fairly consistent. Thanks to all. I'm surprised its
that simple.

> Oboe. Oboe. Oboe. OK, now I know how to spell it (never did hang around
orchestras much).

> One further question before I go get a book on the topic. What part of the
piano is the greatest influence on its sound? More specifically, to what
degree is the soundboard responsible for the piano-like sound pianos make.
Even bad pianos with even worse soundboards still sound quite a bit like a
piano, maybe a bad piano, but still quite a bit like a piano (you can easily
tell it is not a flute). Is it mostly the hammers and strings, or perhaps
more likely, it is the hammers, strings, soundboard, rim, etc. - everything
combined.

All of the above. It's still the attack. Or at least the chaotic wave energy
created by the hammer impact against the strings. Keeping in mind that most
of what we hear during the first few milliseconds of the sound envelope is
still coming from the soundboard. So, the interface between the strings and
the soundboard, etc., still controls the energy transfer and, consequently,
most of what you hear. (There is a little bit of impact sound energy coming
directly from the plate, strings, rim, etc.)

Del