Musical Soundwaves

JStan40@AOL.COM JStan40@AOL.COM
Fri, 2 Aug 2002 21:03:56 EDT

In a message dated 08/02/2002 7:20:10 PM Central Daylight Time,
owner-pianotech-digest@ptg.org writes:

> Del and list , has anyone tried the experiment I mentioned earlier,
> eliminating the attack and decay and compared?
> I can understand the attack side effect, what about the decay side of the
> equation?  Any theories?
>
> David Koelzer
> Vintage Pianos
> DFW

David, et al,

I've held off for a while on all this, since my input is at least partially
(no pun intended) hearsay.  Many years ago my then-wife was working in an
Industrial Engineering department at Northwestern University.  One of the
professors there had been a graduate student assisting in the Fletcher-Munson
studies, which are known to most of us for having led to the development of
the Loudness Contour switch on our stereo sets--you know, the one we switch
on and leave on all the time?  Well, seems this study was a very wide-ranging
one........and one of the experiments run was to tape record instruments on
the same pitch (grouping them by register, of course), then editing the tape
to eliminate the attack and the release, leaving only the middle of the tone.
 At this point they called in their usual subjects and asked them to identify
instruments.  Since they had already postulated that it wouldn't be possible,
they were very pleased to find that the subjects had great difficulty in
identifying them by sound.  According to this person who was working on this
study, someone finally suggested that they might try to find out if the
subjects really KNEW what an oboe sounded like in the first place!
Oops.............so they gathered together a group of musicians, and found
that the correlation was so high as to render the experiment essentially
useless to their purposes!  As I say, hearsay, but an interesting idea.  Of
course, it DOES speak to the idea of designing your experiment around your
preconceived result, which would seem to be dangerous in any scientific
inquiry!

Of course, I can't answer the question of decay,

Stan Ryberg
Barrington IL
Associate
mailto:jstan40@aol.com