Voicing Technique

David Andersen bigda@gte.net
Sat, 3 Aug 2002 10:19:05 -0700

>Hi Phil... you can also try going in with one needle barely
>off the crown and at a slight angle away from parallel to
>the the core. You can more or less "pry out" a bit on the
>hammer felt from the inside this way. As with anything, too
>much will be.... to much. :)

This sounds like what I do as a mattere of course.  If you imagine a
triangle with its apex at the strike point, with rather steep sides, like
a steeple---this is an area you may not want to be sticking deep needles
in.  However, in my experience, putting an 11mm needle ALL the way in
along the sides of the triangle, starting almost at the strike point and
at a 15 or 20 degree angle away from the center of the hammer----3 or 4
stiches, front and back---makes a beautiful and "permanent" difference in
tone.
ONE CAVEAT:  this works a whole hell of a lot better if the hammers have
been "pre-voiced," that is, softened up lower on the shoulders.  Rick
Baldassin's got a pretty good technique which he shares in a little
brochure called "Voicing the Renner Hammer..."  I've found most quality
hammers can benefit from these pre-voicing techniques.

>That being said, of late I have begun to develop a bit of
>sceptical view to "fast results" needling techniques. Or
>perhaps Andres visit here has just got me hooked on trying
>to really for real master traditional needling techniques.

Hey:  we can all be heroes by needling in the string cuts......but the
hero worship only lasts about an hour and a half of serious
playing.....then it's back to broken glass and that disgusting nasally
"twang" that we all know and loathe........Good luck........David Andersen