Musical Soundwaves

Richard Moody remoody@midstatesd.net
Sun, 4 Aug 2002 01:27:14 -0500

>And even a more vast difference between the sampled sounds and
the
> actual sound.  Point being, there is a majority of people out
there who
> still don't the difference between many acoustical instruments.
And drum
> roll please.....it all stems back to the lack of interest from
all of us to
> give 100% to our local schools to promote a better, qualitative
music base
> to our children.
> Tom Servinsky,RPT

We need to support and give more to  local school music programs.
Perhaps as technicians we could offer one free tuning to show how
important it is to  tune all the pianos once a year at least.  I
cannot say how true it is that the band instrument techs
possessing a sofisticated tuning machine offer piano tunings at up
to half price.  Of course the piano stays with lost motion,
sluggish keys and goes out of tune in 3 weeks instead of 3 months.
But how does the band director know this? ---that he would have
been better off with a professional piano tuner instead of a brass
wind tech moonlighting with an RCT or worse yet,  __________
heheh you fill in the blanks.

Regarding the difference between sample sound and "real sound"
remember,  sampled sound can only heard through loud speakers.
Also realize there is a HUGE potential market for  an 88 note
keyboard that weighs less than 100 lbs that through loud speakers
sounds almost as good as the average 5'6" grand piano.   Such a
reality is just around the corner and probably 3 years in the past
rather than 3 years in the future. I was in a music store and
played a "personal  keyboard".   I pressed 3 buttons,   (start,
grand piano, and accompainment) and am still going strong.  Yes I
bought it, (last year) a demo model for $350.    My main gripe is
it's only 5 octaves, but I wonder for $700 could it have 120
notes?  I can   hardly wait for the 120 midi key board controller.
The only  question is will it be two "manuals" or one long
     ---ric