birdcage....long

Mike Kurta mkurta@adelphia.net
Sun, 4 Aug 2002 09:13:51 -0400

    Hi Ed:
    What a colorful story you told.  Well done!  Welcome to the world of =
birdcage pianos.  Like square grands, one has to appreciate them for =
what they are-state of the art at the time, and horrible pains by =
today's standards.  The cases are beautiful, with fine marketry work, =
inlaid patterns, veneer matching, etc, etc, but they can be troublesome =
to service.   =20
    I've worked on several, my daughter has one, so these tips may help. =
 First in pitch raising and tuning, I've found it helpful to mark each =
string with its note signature on the plate at the tuning pin which =
corresponds to the note being tuned.  This way, the action can be =
removed once, and the piano can be tuned by chipping (plucking) the =
strings.  It may not be perfect, but close enough. =20
    The damper problem stems from the dampers not exerting enough =
pressure against the strings to effectively work.  (Duh).  As has been =
suggested, make sure the damper wires have slight up and down play in =
them to be sure they are not holding the dampers away from the strings =
when the action is in place.  These can be adjusted by adjuster screws =
or bending the wires, depending on the design. =20
    Next, be sure the action as a whole is up tight toward the strings =
as far as it can go.  If anything prevents this, even a few thousandths =
of an inch, damper leakage will occur.  Possibly you can bend the ears =
of the metal latches (if it has them) to exert more inward pressure on =
the action.  Sometimes shimming the latches with flat washers will force =
the action inwards.  I've seen pianos where soft felt strips were glued =
to the front of the dampers making them in effect a thicker damper.  Now =
one has to be sure that the damper comes away from the string fully when =
the note is played.   Desperate problems call for desperate measures, so =
you may have to get creative in analyzing the problem.  If damping was =
OK before the tuning, and not now, try to see what may have changed.  =
It's always better to correct the original problem than to try to fix =
symptoms.  The difficulty is finding the original problem.  Often I'd =
like to have been paid for the time in finding it, not fixing it.  Good =
Luck, let us know how it finally is resolved.
    Mike Kurta
  ----- Original Message -----=20