New Steinway Hammer replacement

Arthur Chickering chikring@midcoast.com
Sun, 4 Aug 2002 11:12:08 -0400

Dear List,   =20
I am putting a new set of Steinway hammers shanks and flanges on a 1901 =
model A grand.  This piano is on an island off the coast of Maine which =
is an hour ferry trip one way.  This piano is used by the Fox Island =
Concert Association and they will be using this piano August 14 th for a =
solo concert.  I will not have much time to put these hammers on and get =
them regulated and voiced for this concert.  This is the first set of =
Steinway hammers I have had to replace.  I am looking for some help in =
the preparation, regulation and voicing methods that you use on these =
hammers and any methods that might speed up this job. A step by step =
guide would be very helpful so that I don't make any major mistakes that =
could waste time.  I have done several grand regulations, but I do not =
have much voicing experience and none using lacquer and acetone.  I was =
told by Kent Webb to use 1part lacquer and 3 parts acetone and to soak =
the hammers completely.  If anyone has experince with this method or a =
different method your help would be greatly appreciated.
I do have the Steinway Technical Reference Guide, but I am looking for =
more specific individual methods that you have developed from experince =
with these hammers.
I am afraid of getting these hammers too hard and have difficulty =
voicing them.

Thanks for your help.

Arthur Chickering
Associate Member