New Steinway Hammer replacement

A440A@AOL.COM A440A@AOL.COM
Sun, 4 Aug 2002 13:25:44 EDT

Greetings, Arthur writes:
>I am putting a new set of Steinway hammers shanks and flanges on a 1901
model A grand.
>I was told by Kent Webb to use 1part lacquer and 3 parts acetone and to soak
the hammers completely.  If >anyone has experince with this method or a
different method your help would be greatly appreciated.

   Yes, i did that once.  The hammers sounded good for about three hours of
playing, and then some of them began sounding like a tin can.  Sticking
needles down in the crown, as per factory instruction,  took out the clang,
but killed the tonal range. Since then, I have avoided soaking the hammers
and have found much nicer results with a different approach.
  >I am afraid of getting these hammers too hard and have difficulty voicing
them.

You should be. I feel that a completely soaked hammer produces a narrow range
of tone.  Our brand new D at Vanderbilt was only played for about a week
before the head of the piano department refused to use it for a performance
due to the harshness that had appeared.  I think a premium instrument should
be more durable than that, so I approach the hammers differently.
    I would suggest that before hanging,  you use 4:1 lacquer and thinner,
and soak the hammers' shoulders so that the penetration creates a halfmoon
shaped area, extending from the lower and mid shoulder towards the tip of the
hammer core.  This will take approx one eyedropper full on both sides and
leaves a wedge of unlacqued felt under the strike point, which can then be
juiced up as needed after the hammers are in the piano.  The very top octave
just might require a full soak, though.

Good luck,
Ed Foote RPT