stringing

Susan Kline sckline@attbi.com
Sun, 04 Aug 2002 17:58:49 -0700

At 08:27 PM 8/4/2002 -0400, you wrote:
>David,
>  You do have to cut for the exact size,with the wire laying beside
> you.But it is still a lot faster,and easier to keep up with,than having
> to get the can out every string,pull out the wire,and measure,and you
> will still end up measuring exactly anyway.That way when the pins,and
> wire run out,you know it's time to change size.We don't think of losing a
> minute here or there,but when you do it 200+ times it adds up.I was
> taught this way,and it seems I pick up,and put down tools less times this way.
>Best,
>Hazen Bannister

You know, I could imagine a simple fixture which might work quite well for
this. You take a rubbing, and tape the long tenor end to a cylinder, so
that the long tenor is parallel to the cylinder, and a foot or so away from
it. You drape the rubbing over a long narrow table, with the agraffe end
near a simple clamp which could hold wire, like a visegrip mounted to the
table. You put a big magic marker slash between the changes in size, and
mark the size numbers on the rubbing in big numbers. The film can stays on
a dowel on the far end, just beyond the rubbing. You grab the wire, pull it
to the agraffe end, clamp it with the vise grip, then take the cutters,
down at the film end, and clip just beyond the rubbed hitch pin. Actually,
you keep the cutters in your hand ... After the end of a size, you roll up
the rubbing a little way, change the film cans for the next size, and carry
on ... oh, one other thing you'd need -- a series of places, like maybe
narrow saw kerfs, to lay the wire on in order. with sizes marked.

hmmmmmmmm

Susan