New Steinway Hammer replacement

Jon Page jonpage@attbi.com
Sun, 04 Aug 2002 23:00:39 -0400

At 06:51 PM 8/4/2002 -0700, you wrote:

>I've got to second Jon's advice, consider holding off on the action
>rebuild until after the concert.  But if that isn't going to fly...
>
>Are they putting you up while you do the work or are you taking the action
>to the shop?  If you go to pick up the action and take it back to the
>shop, you've got about 2+ hours of time right there.  Another 1+ hours to
>bring the action back for the finish work.  Don't hesitate to bill them
>for this time!  They could put you up for several days and let you do the
>work there.  I'm taking for granted you have pre-bored hammers from
>Steinway.  The Journal has articles by Bill Spurlock on hammer replacement.
>
>What you ought to do is send another post to the List and tell us what you
>think your procedure will be and what tools you'll need.  This will give
>us a good idea if you can handle the job!
>
>David Ilvedson

Another problem you may encounter: The older shanks were a smaller diameter
than modern shanks.
So there is a possibility that the holes on the prebored hammers are too large.

Another minor detail...do you know how to remove the old hammer and glue
collar without damaging the center?

I would not recommend hanging new hammers on 100 year old shanks in the
first place since replacements
are not out of production and it will be a performance venue.

There is much more to the job than being a new parts installer. In this
case, experience counts.

Regards,

Jon Page,   piano technician
Harwich Port, Cape Cod, Mass.