Sorting New Tuning Pins

Gordon Holley gholley@hi-techhousing.com
Tue, 6 Aug 2002 13:39:30 -0500

Thank you Newton and Terry.  I'm sure glad Gerry made the comment
about checking the sizes of the new pins.  Hadn't read it yet and
this might be the first time in a long time that anyone has brought
it up on this list.  Guess I'll be checking sizes on a new box of
pins tonight.  Just been waiting for my new bass wires from Danny so
I'll pass the time tonight sorting pins.  Sure glad I didn't skip
class today.  Between this tip and the one on putting the wire sizes
on the plate with rub-off numbers, from Joe Garrett, this has been a
very helpful past few days.  Best regards to all, Gordon Holley
On 6 Aug 2002 at 13:46, Farrell wrote:

> Hello Gordon. Newton states it correctly! I mike the whole pile of new pins and separate them into perhaps four to eight different sizes (a great job for a youngster, etc.!). Some are hard to classify because they are different sizes at the top of the threads that at the bottom, and some are
ovalish, and some, like Newton points out can be bent!

> I know what to do with the different size pins, but what rules, if any, do folks use to deal with oval pins, and uneven diameter pins, and bent pins? Toss them? I haven't found any definitive difference with them in the few pianos I have strung. Perhaps a softer pinblock is more forgiving for
these defects than a harder pinblock like a Delignite? Any thoughts?