Del Fandrich - Your comments please, anyone else that that matter...

Wed, 07 Aug 2002 09:52:39 +0200

Delwin D Fandrich wrote:

> If you're after the longest practical bass string length this is probably
> the easiest and most practical way to get it. It would take an extremely
> long key to get a hammer to strike anywhere reasonable on a bass string of
> this length on a grand. The builder is obviously impressed with the huge
> soundboard size--I think it would be difficult to control. A smaller and
> more appropriately shaped soundboard would be more efficient--but, then,

An interesting thought... a long 12 foot instrument...
strings stretching all that length and some sort of
framework to hold the tension... and a small soundboard of
some sort. I wonder what kind of a shape that might have...
obvioiusly the bridge is going to have to yeild string
lengths from around 50 mm for the C8 to that longest string
at A0.... would be fun to see different designers
suggestions for an appropriate soundboard shape and size.

I am going to have to ask Fenner about this piano when he
comes this fall. :)

> .... Maybe we'll get back to the built-in instrument era, i.e., as per
> the pipe organ.

That too is an interesting thought. And perhaps not a bad
one in itself when you come to think about it.

> Del

Cheers !

RicB