Broken String

Tom Driscoll tomtuner@attbi.com
Wed, 7 Aug 2002 08:11:17 -0400

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-pianotech@ptg.org [mailto:owner-pianotech@ptg.org] On Behalf
Of James Gammon
Sent: Wednesday, August 07, 2002 12:56 AM
To: pianotech@ptg.org
Subject: Re: Broken String

Did I miss something?  Is this request unusually outlandish?  Did I
somehow indicate that I wanted the string pre-tuned, or even thought
that such a thing was possible?  I just happen to be a guy who likes
to fiddle with stuff, and wouldn't mind the experience of putting the
new string in myself.  My understanding is that a new string costs
around $10, so unless this understanding is wrong, it's worth breaking

another one (or two) to a tinkerer like myself to have the experience
of re-stringing it. I know how to tune it to a unison with the
other E3 string.  Perhaps I stand to do serious damage to the piano
somehow?  If this is the case, by all means, I'll have a registered
technician do it.

   Confusedly,

      Jame

	James,
	Please don't take offense. What you've just witnessed is the
style of good natured humor found in our little trade. I apologize, as I
started all this with my "pretuned" comment. We as tech's all spend time
advising piano owners, (Usually on the phone) with requests similar to
yours. The end result is lost time with no compensation and a client
over their head with no option but to call a piano tech to save the day.
(Often a different tech gets the job because of embarrassment)
	Please don't misunderstand, this ain't rocket science. I could
teach you how to install a bass string in 15 minutes even without the
specialized tools that make the job easier,
	 Maybe it's because we work alone and enjoy the chance to goof
off with our compatriots after our day. You opened that door, I peeked
in and these other Chuckleheads knocked the darn thing down!
	Go to it -good luck. I find satisfaction myself in repairing
things around the house without calling in a pro, just ask me about that
pipe I tried to solder - better yet ask my Plumber who came and fixed my
mess.
	Tom Driscoll RPT
	P.S.Want to see some real fireworks? Watch this.
	EQUAL TEMPERMENT IS THE ONLY WAY TO TUNE A PIANO.ALL OTHER
METHODS SHOULD BE ILLEGAL.