OT: Question on Lesson Studios

jolly roger baldyam@sk.sympatico.ca
Wed, 07 Aug 2002 10:26:23 -0500

If you have forced air heating, acoustic ducting is available,  After
building our studios, we soon found out that most of the inter studio noise
problems, was coming from the ducting.
The ducting is a big concertina like hose, with insulation wrapped around
it.   The outer and inner covering looks like a zinc impregnated fabric.

The walls were constructed with 2 X 6 framing, using steel studs off set on
each side. Bat insulation was woven between the studs,Polystyrene was used
for caulking around the framing.   two sheets of gyproc was applied on each
side of the wall for rigidity.  We used a glass window through the wall
into the common area.

The studios are practical so far as noise is concerned.   Are they sound
proof? No.
But they are better than our University practice studios, and do not
interfere with teaching operations.
  Pay close attention to the ceiling.  We took the walls to the ceiling of
the structure, then installed a drop ceiling, with bat insulation above it.

Regards Roger