Sciortino Insta-Coiler

Alan R. Barnard mathstar@salemnet.com
Wed, 7 Aug 2002 19:25:01 -0500

I've got the Siortino tool. Funny the way you worded your question =
because I have had the same results ... sometimes it works beautifully, =
easily, perfect coil, etc. Other times, it has driven me cuckoo. It's =
nice to be able to repair with only 3 1/2  turns out and not hauling in =
the sledge to frighten folks, but it is inconsistent for me, too. Don't =
know why.

Alan R. Barnard
Salem, MO
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Jon Page=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Wednesday, August 07, 2002 6:06 PM
  Subject: Re: Sciortino Insta-Coiler

  At 05:51 PM 8/7/2002 -0500, you wrote:

    Hello,
    =20
    Has anyone had much success with the Sciortino Insta-coiler?  It's =
probably better used when restringing an entire piano but as a farily =
new part-time tuner, I bought one in hopes that it would make the =
occassional broken string easier to replace.  Sometimes it makes a =
perfect coil and other times, I have problems getting it to work.  Maybe =
I just need to have more practice with it but it seems inconsistent.=20
    =20
    Any opinions?
    =20
    Corte Swearingen

  I have not tried one but have seen the picture in the catalogue.
  I would tend to think that for string replacements a dummy pin would =
be best to get into tight areas.

  For treble wire I use a dummy pin which has been cut off 1/4 " below =
the becket hole. From there a saw
  cut up into the hole allows the coil to be easily slipped off. But for =
the heavier core wire of bass strings
  I first ease the becket out of the pin with needle-nosed pliers and =
then remove the coil. The reason for
  this is to expand the coil so it is easier to install on the pin in =
the piano.=20