Fireworks

Alan R. Barnard mathstar@salemnet.com
Wed, 7 Aug 2002 19:38:49 -0500

Tom Driscoll RPT said:

"P.S.Want to see some real fireworks? Watch this.
EQUAL TEMPERMENT IS THE ONLY WAY TO TUNE A PIANO.ALL OTHER METHODS SHOULD BE
ILLEGAL."

According to the local tooner who bought a music store, complete with
Baldwin dealership that he has since lost, "a string is either in tune or
not in tune." He uses a guitar tuner to make every "A" and "A", every "C" a
"C" etcetera. Now THAT is equal temperment: every interval except the 2:1
sounds equally puky!

Alan R. Barnard
Salem, MO

P.S. By the way, I tried to clue him in, and he is convinced I am lying and
just out to steal his customers. I tried to explain tuning to beats, he
informed me later that he had checked out the electronic pianos in his store
that he knew for sure were in tune and could not hear the beats I was
talking about! Ya cain't fix dumb.