Sciortino Insta-Coiler

Kevin E. Ramsey ramsey@extremezone.com
Wed, 7 Aug 2002 18:52:04 -0700

They work very well, provided you make sure that the becket hole is =
lined up perfectly in the slot. I don't think I'd try stringing a whole =
piano with one, but I know people who do. I prefer to wind the string on =
the pin and then pound it in. But they're good for replacing  a broken =
string on an existing pin.=20
    Joe came up with a lot of very interesting ideas, the insta-coiler =
helped me when I was really new to the trade, and gave me perfect =
results, which is rewarding for a newbie. I haven't used mine in a few =
years, though.=20
  Corte,

  I use the Sciortino Insta-coiler often.  Joe Sciortino was a member of =
our Chapter here in Suffolk.  He was a friend to all PTG members, but =
took special pride in teaching beginning technicians.  He recently =
passed away, and is missed here by many.  I happen to have the original =
prototype of the Insta-coiler.  In fact, after many years of use, I've =
worn out the tuning pin piece, and retired it for posterity.  This =
original tool had about half the amount of metal below the string slot =
in the housing that fits over the tuning pin.  Because the supply house =
version has more material below the slot, the housing sometimes bottoms =
out on the plate and causes the coil to wind up on  itself.  I ground a =
bit of material off the bottom of the tool, and it works much better.  =
(Boy, a picture is worth...)

  Anyway, hope this helps.

  Jerry Gravina, RPT
  Babylon, NY