air compressors

Kdivad@AOL.COM Kdivad@AOL.COM
Thu, 08 Aug 2002 09:54:12 -0400

In a message dated Wed, 7 Aug 2002 11:03:44 PM Eastern Standard Time, cfaulk2@juno.com writes:

> Terry,
>
> As with many compressors, the instructions say to "drain the tank after
> every use". All the ones I know of have a drain valve at the bottom of
> the tank that enable you to "blow out" excessive moisture. I take those
> instructions very seriously especially before I bore a pinblock and need
> air pressure to cool my drill bit, or do any finish repair.
>
> Charles Faulk
>
> On Wed, 07 Aug 2002 19:17:40 -0700 "pianolover 88"
> <pianolover88@hotmail.com> writes:
> > Does it come with a "water trap". i'm told you need that to prevent
> > water
> > vapor from condensing on the action and metal parts. Sounds like a
> > good deal
> > though..thanks for the tip!
> >
> > Terry Peterson

Terry, Charles makes a good point, unless you are using your compressor to do finishing a water trap is generally not necessary, though it is a relatively inexpensive tool to have.  Emptying the tank on a regular basis is very important.  I know some craftsman who rely on a water trap alone, but the truth is that a trap can only handle a certain amount of water vapor and a tank with a lot of water in it will just push on through even the best traps.

Side question for Jon Page, How does moisture affect your water base lacquer when finishing?  I am definitely going to try your system.

David Koelzer
Vintage Pianos
DFW