Mason&Hamlin A board replacement

Erwinspiano@AOL.COM Erwinspiano@AOL.COM
Thu, 8 Aug 2002 11:06:29 EDT

In a message dated 8/7/2002 5:35:26 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
mcpiano@globetrotter.net writes:

> Subj:Mason&Hamlin A board replacement
> Date:8/7/2002 5:35:26 PM Pacific Daylight Time
> From:<A HREF="mailto:mcpiano@globetrotter.net">mcpiano@globetrotter.net</A>
> To:<A HREF="mailto:pianotech@ptg.org">pianotech@ptg.org</A>
> Sent from the Internet
>
>            Marcel

        It would be simple enough to discard the apron and move the bass
bridge forward as far as the plate will allow  which would allow the
backscale length some improvement. Yes, the bass strings would be a bit
shorter but you'd gain back scale length. The mono chord section which needs
it most desperately.
     On one of the two As I did last year I did what I call a partial float
at the end of the tenor bridge which was done by drawing a line from one end
of the maple cap piece on the board to the other end, installing a small rib
on the bottom underneath the line and a thin maple strip over it on the top
for a little reinforcing. I made the cut after the auxiliary ribs were on.
     As clarification the piece I'm referring to is the maple piece at the
tail of the piano that sits on top of the board and is screwed into the rim.
That piece IMO is there because there is a good deal of bending strain
required to get the tail to sit down on the rim there at glue in and this is
their insurance it won't surprise them.
    Any way the modification allowed this area to be free of that strain and
the improvement in the bass, even though I did not change the bass bridge
config. was very noticeable in the sustain and overall sonority of the bass.
On the next one I'll add about 4 bi-chords to the bottom of the tenor or add
a supplemental bridge and move the bass bridge forward
   On the other A I used the same materials, ribbing, but no float. I liked
the sounds of the floated board better, the sustain through out was greater.
    I'm not advocating any one do this but just sharing my own journey. I'm
sure there are other ideas and methods that have more merit "floating" around
in cyber space.
      Dale Erwin