Stretch Vs.Temperament, (was Beat Rates)

Richard Moody remoody@midstatesd.net
Thu, 8 Aug 2002 20:22:56 -0500

----- Original Message -----
From: <A440A@AOL.COM>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Tuesday, August 06, 2002 8:30 PM
Subject: Stretch Vs.Temperament, (was Beat Rates)

>      I have met people that don't register any difference
between
> temperaments, ET or otherwise, and those that feel it is one of
the most
> profound discoveries in their musical pursuit,..........

Ed's statment above hits the bedrock of the so called temperament
debates.  Some people are more sensitive than others.  Being a
"less sensitive" doesn't mean I disdain tuning in other than ET.
Unfortunatly I can't hear the difference in music being played, or
in music when I play it.
Only when I test the intervals as a tuner does can I hear the
difference.
Now for people who claim to hear the difference and seek tunings
other than ET I hope they have all the right in the world.   If I
prefer ET I hope I have the same rights.
   If indeed there exists a substantial number of people who can't
hear the difference, I as a piano tuner am willing and able to
satisfy their desires and tune for them a very good ET.  If there
is a substantial number of people who can appreciate the
difference, then yes, let them  be educated and then choose any
number of different temperaments.

Ed Wrote

> Greetings,
>   I think it was Don that wrote:
> >>It is my contention that the octave stretch style used has a
much larger
> >>affect on the sound of the piano than the often subtle
differences between
> > >temperaments.
>
>     Well, my experience leads me to disagree.

It may be that those who can't hear the difference in temperament
may be more sensitive to octave stretching.    A few simple tests
can be designed to reveal the difference if it exists.    If
enough participate in blind tests offering HT's Vs ET or stretched
ET's we will progress a long way in the question of temperament
and tuning and its effects on tonality.

    ---ric