pull up to pitch or leave it there?

Stephen Airy stephenairy@fastmail.fm
Sat, 10 Aug 2002 05:10:02 UT

When you're tuning an older piano, what are some things you consider
when deciding whether or not to attempt to pull the piano up to concert
pitch or to leave it where it is?  (assuming the piano is no more than
50 cents (1/4 step) flat)
I just tuned my cousin's Geo. Steck upright (I'd say approx. 52" -
didn't measure it...) today.  The serial # looked like it was in the
13000s or 15000s - I don't remember - might have been 13543 or 13513 -
but I think the 4th and 5th digits were 43, and first was definitely 1.
Anyway.. this piano looked to be built in the 1880s or 1890s.  It had
88 keys, a 3/4 plate, was overstrung with an underdamper action.  Piano
was approx. 40 cents flat, and it looked like several strings in the
mid to high treble had been replaced not long before.  Considering the
replaced strings and the 3/4 plate, I tuned it where it was.  The
action definitely needs some work, and the piano could use restringing
(unichords 1-10, bichords 11-27 (break between 26 and 27), and wrapped
trichords 28-31 were quite dead sounding, and a lot of plain steel
strings up to middle C seemed to be somewhat rusty, not to mention the
strings in the upper treble that had been replaced.  Oh,  this piano
had square shaped agraffe-like termination points throughout the entire
piano.
How do you determine whether or not to pull a piano up to pitch?
--
  Stephen Airy
  stephenairy@fastmail.fm

--