No capstans?

Alan R. Barnard mathstar@salemnet.com
Sat, 10 Aug 2002 19:58:39 -0500

I don't want to rehash the DC w/o full system argument but this raises an
interesting question.

There really are some environments, like Florida Keys, where you probably
never need humidifying. So can you install the heater bar AND the humidistat
but leave out the tank and such? If not, why not. DC should make such a
system available at an appropriate price, methinks.

Alan Barnard
----- Original Message -----
From: "pianolover 88" <pianolover88@hotmail.com>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Saturday, August 10, 2002 5:24 PM
Subject: No capstans?

Working on an old Schubert full up., circa 1895. Not sure how to adjust for
losr motion after filing/reshaping hammeres. No capstan but raised wodden
type buttons at end of keys with 2 screws holding them on. they don't appear
to be adjustable, so i wonder the best/correct way to eliminate lost motion.

Also, I'll be installing a DC De-humid with stat...no humidifier as the
average RH is 60-100%. This piano at first inspection was 15-50c sharp, and
not tuned for more than 10 years! Waaaay to much moisture in this house not
far from the ocean. I left it UNtuned since my assumption is that the
dehumidifier(which will probably be running 24-7 for the first couple
months) will leach out alot of excess moisture, thereby causing the piano to
drop pitch, hopefully close to the ballpark. Is this a safe bet? How long
should I wait to tune it after DC installation? ThankS!!! Btw, piano seems
structurally sound with decent pin block and no apparent past string
breakage.

Terry Peterson