M@H 'A' board

Marcel Carey mcpiano@globetrotter.net
Sat, 10 Aug 2002 23:34:15 -0400

Thank you Jack.

The A in question is an X2. The serial # is 18953. The ribs in the treble
are smaller and really closer to each others. This is why my original
question came about. I appreciate your concern about the practice on less
valuable piano, but now I own the thing and the board is out of the piano
and will be replaced. The only thing remaining is will I just have it
duplicated or will I change it? This is where you guys come in the picture.
I'm not going to rush this thing, but I would like to make it at least as
good as it was when originally built. So I guess I could always just get a
duplicated pre-crowned board from Bolduc... or make it better or worse on my
own...
  -----Original Message-----
  From: owner-pianotech@ptg.org [mailto:owner-pianotech@ptg.org]On Behalf Of
JWyatt1492@AOL.COM
  Sent: 10 aout, 2002 21:38
  To: pianotech@ptg.org
  Subject: M@H 'A' board

  Marcel & Del,

     Del,  there was a Mason "A"  that had three
  extra one half size ribs in the high treble.  The
  last one that I replaced the board in I took out
  the small ribs and replaced them with standard
  size and number of ribs. It did not seem to make
  any difference.  It was a player and I think that it
  was  an  'A- 4'.

      I have an A-3  #21158 in my shop now.  It has
  the standard number and size ribs.

       Marcel,  If you don't have much experience in
  replacing  soundboards it may serve you well to
  practice on a less valuable piano.  Also let us know
  witch "A"  this one is.  You can find this number in
  the left back of the plate.

  Regards to All,
  Jack Wyatt