steaming dampers

pianolover 88 pianolover88@hotmail.com
Sun, 11 Aug 2002 14:39:55 -0700

On older uprights and grands where the dampers are a bit on the hard side,
I've used that age-old hammer voicing mixture of Isopropyl, water and a
smidge of fab softener, and viola!- the dampers work fine again. not sure
how long it will last, but seems to work for a a good while. I would not use
too much as it might penetrate too deep and loosen the glue.

Terry Peterson

----Original Message Follows----
From: "Kevin E. Ramsey" <ramsey@extremezone.com>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Subject: Re: steaming dampers
Date: Sun, 11 Aug 2002 10:33:11 -0700

Tom, I don't know, but what I do know is that you're probably going to be
doing a lot more work trying to steam them that it would take to just put on
a new set.
     Is this an upright or a grand, not that it matters much. You glue them
on at the piano, and the wedge felt will pretty much find it's home without
too much fitting later. I've done it a number of times, and believe me, it's
not that hard. Even setting the damper timing is not that hard.