a rose by any other name...

Tom Driscoll tomtuner@attbi.com
Mon, 12 Aug 2002 00:23:14 -0400

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-pianotech@ptg.org [mailto:owner-pianotech@ptg.org] On Behalf
Of Delwin D Fandrich
Sent: Sunday, August 11, 2002 9:22 PM

Yes. It is always inappropriate to knowingly put a false name on a
'no-name'
piano. Do your work on it and sell it based on the value of your work
and on
its value as a musical instrument.

Del

	I concur with Del on this one, but admit to one exception in my
career.
	I sold an early 60's kawai console with Kawai cast in the plate
. I believe that because of the bias against "made in Japan" that
existed in that era Kawai marketed the piano in the United States with a
different name on the fallboard.  I think it was called a Sonata or
something similar.
	The piano was cleaned and the original Decal damaged so I
replaced it with a Kawai decal.
	Was this a deceptive practice? I think not, as this was truly a
Kawai, but this can be a slippery slope especially with all the stencil
pianos on the used market.
	True confessor,
	 Tom Driscoll
	This was and remains a decent little piano,but I remember
having to replace some kind of gooey foam rubber stuff they had used for
back rail cloth.