Stretch Vs.Temperament, (was Beat Rates)

David Andersen bigda@gte.net
Mon, 12 Aug 2002 14:01:21 -0700

>So, in the context of this discussion, I wonder if those
>heavyweight ears mentioned above would have been just as
>happy had I tunned a perfect temperament every time... but
>had "sloppy" octaves instead ??

I think this speaks to the heart of something about aural perception, AND
the art of piano tuning.  There is an art and a craft beyond measurement(
sorry, propellerheads)that can only be mastered with gifted ears and
many, many serious tunings on good pianos,  that makes a good tuning
great---it's something to do with the "musicalness" of it, and each piano
wants something a little different and unique.

Specific enough for you left-brained guys?  :--)

Great day and good luck to all........

David Andersen
Malibu, CA