voicing new hammers (prevoicing)

Tue, 13 Aug 2002 08:00:46 -0700

Gevaert:

Each hammer maker has their own technique.  I don't tend to use Abel hammers
because I don't find the felt to be as responsive.  Methods recommended by
the US supplier include squeezing the shoulders with pliers.  Though some
will make the argument that this is less destructive to the felt than
needles, I have a problem with a hammer that requires that sort of
treatment.

The method I use on Renner is as outlined by Rick Baldassin in a pamphlet
provided by Renner USA.  Contact Lloyd Meyer at www.rennerusa.com (I think)
to get a copy.  The basic procedure involves deep needling the shoulders of
the hammer between 9:00 and 10:30, and 1:30 and 3:00 on each side of the
hammer.  The pamphlet suggests using needles 10mm in length.  I don't go
quite that deep and less so as I move up the scale.  Maybe 8mm in the bass
down to about 5 mm in the treble.  The aiming point is a point in the felt
down below the moulding.  Think of it as the spokes in a wheel with the
center of the wheel several millimeters below the top of the moulding.  I
needle in a caul that holds 25 or so hammers at a time on the bench.  This
makes it easier to do more uniform needling and not worry about holding the
hammer with my other hand.  I do it by feel squeezing the hammers until they
feel right.  Firm but I can compress them with my fingers a bit.  Sets vary
and so will the amount of needling required.  Afterwards I file to restore
shape and iron the felt to lay down the fibers.  One advantage of
preneedling is that the felt needs some time to respond to the needling and
will continue to change for awhile after.  So I prefer to do this well
before I get to the piano.   Additional needling will be necessary at the
piano to address other tonal areas but this provides a good foundation.
Needling this area should not take any brightness out of the hammer.

One thing about Renner hammers is that they make different hammers and each
one has a different level of hardness.  A Renner made for Boesendorfer is
much harder than a Renner Blue.  No matter what hammer you are using,
however, the goal is the same, to create resilience.  But you will have to
needle some much more than others to get there.  I prefer Renner blues
because I like to start with a slightly softer version so that the needling
required is less.  That being said, I will use Renners made for Hamburg
Steinway on Steinways and Renners made for Boesendorfer on Boesendorfer.
Some techs use a Dremel tool to preneedle the very hard Renner hammers
because of this.

David Love