Stretch Vs.Temperament, (was Beat Rates)

Tue, 13 Aug 2002 17:49:41 +0200

David Andersen wrote:

> >While I aggree that ET is difficult, nay impossible to get
> >just right, (if you take the full definition of ET that is)
> What is the full definition of ET?

That would be one which takes into consideration all
intervals... as opposed to say just a nice even progression
of M3rds. Ideally I suppose you could say that a Perfect
perfect ET would be on that could only be accomplished on a
piano with perfectly even inharmonicities.... or what ?

> >it is not in my experience that the variations / errors in
> >temperament represent the most significant differences in
> >the tuning styles of accomplished tuners.
>
> Why would an accomplished aural tuner settle for an inconsistency large
> enough to be called an error in his/her temperament?

Outside of the fact that everyone does all the time to some
degree or another...whether they know it or not, admit it or
not.... grin... I cant think of any particularilly good
reason.

> Cheers.......David Andersen

Prosit !

RicB