Tuning Pin Size Sorting Results

BobDavis88@AOL.COM BobDavis88@AOL.COM
Tue, 13 Aug 2002 12:20:02 EDT

I know the discussion on this [tuning pin sorting] has pretty much died down,
but I have been out of town for a week and wanted to add one more thing.

In case anyone still doubts the necessity for miking tuning pins, we just got
a set of Diamond brand pins (plenty money). The first two pins out of the box
miked fine, but about 60 percent of the box was out of round by up to FIVE
thousandths. That is, mike them one way, then rotate them 90 degrees and
re-measure, and the measurement was different by way too much. What this
means is as they are rotated in the block, eventually only the wide part is
bearing fully against the wood.

How much oval is too much probably depends upon the material, with the most
elastic material being a little more forgiving. I would guess that maple
would be able to tolerate a thousandth or two out of round, with the elastic
nature of the wood able to conform. A new block may be a little more
forgiving than an old one. The densified multilaminate blocks seem more
sensitive to variations in size and shape.

Round is still better than oval in this application, and five thousandths
strikes me as a bit much. The supplier did replace them.

Regards,
Bob Davis