Cleaning keys, resume

Stéphane Collin collin.s@skynet.be
Tue, 13 Aug 2002 23:46:49 +0200

Thanks again to everyone for great input.  What a wonderful resource, this list.

Let me resume.

For cleaning Ivory keytops :
    1° clean rag under hot water, with soap.
    2° baby wipes a bit dried
    3° barely damp washcloth with toothpaste
    4° Windex diluted in water spray
    5° solution of 1/2 water, 1/2 ammonia
    6° Dow bathroom cleaner
    7° 100 grit sandpaper, solution of 40 % H2O2 in the sun, then fine sand and buffing wheel.

For other keytops :
    1° Fantastic applied to the cloth (but features industrial strength perfume)
    2° Cory Key Brite
    3° 409, Simply green

Special recommandation : keep moisture away from water soluble glue joints.

For key wood :
    1° 80 grit sandpaper, one way brushing action
    2° scraper or razor blade, used softly
    3° disk sander
    4° Fantastic (again)
    5° rub with 60 grit sandpaper, use felt belts and ivory polishing compound on belt sander.

Thanks again to all.  I am sure this helps (me certainly).

Best regards,

Stéphane Collin.