Stretch Vs.Temperament, (was Beat Rates)

David Andersen bigda@gte.net
Wed, 14 Aug 2002 00:20:18 -0700

>but if you maintain a steady
>beat rate of fourths over the entire range of the piano then
>other then some odd things are going to go on with the beat
>rates of some of the other intervals.
Not in my experience; when the fourths are beating the same, all the
contiguous thirds, ascending and descending thirds, tenths whatever, work
out.....I mean, you can make them work out. But----ultimately--
due to each piano's singular brand of inharmonicity, I trust my ears and
my gut over tests.  And---I trust the fourths. Listening to the fourths,
for me, allows me to be ultra, ultraprecise in tuning octaves.  To me,
there's a HECK of a lot of room in a "beatless" octave to put it on the
"flat" side or the "sharp" side, and following the fourths allows me to
verify my own ear's preference for where to put the octave.   Hope that's
clear........
> Fourths are subject to
>the same kind of contiguous rule that thirds are if I am not
>mistaken.
I don't think so.

>So perhaps you dont mean the "same beat rate" when you say
>"slow lazy roll" ??
Ah, but I do.
> Is this roll lazy roll relative to beat
>rates of other intervals for different ranges of the piano
I guess it's between .75 and 1.5 bps.  Roughly.  <g>  It's a slow roll
that feels right for that piano.
Flame suit on, propellerheads.......
>??
Fly me to Norway and I'll show you.......   :---)

Better yet, fly Virgil Smith to Norway and HE'LL show you.....that would
be awesome.....

All the best,
David Andersen
Malibu, CA