Stretch Vs.Temperament, (was Beat Rates)

David Andersen bigda@gte.net
Wed, 14 Aug 2002 01:25:30 -0700

>David A. wrote:
>
>>A little more substance than what?  Do you think a $1200 computer, or a
>>$3000 computer, is better than my wet computer? Please.

>>And David I. wrote:
>Yes.
So, we agree to disagree.  IMO, to say that something (an ETD)  made as a
Bizarro-world, one dimensional copy of my ear, which has been created,
refined, and tweaked by some power none of us can ever fathom rationally
over millions of years----well, it just beggars my particular imagination.
The hubris of it.

>> I would be happy to talk to you about the "mystical" aspects of the
>>work, but only if you perceive me as a possible equal.
>
>I'm not interested in the "mystical" aspects of tuning and I'm am hardly a
>propeller-head but I haven't used a tuning fork since I took the PTG test
>years
>ago and passed in the 90s.
Again.....every head a planet; I like mystical.  Thrive on it.  And have
created and maintained an excellent business, an excellent income (in the
top 1%, according to the last Guild survey I saw) expressing it as a
piano tuner, voicer and regulator.  I trust body intelligence.  I trust
musical intelligence.

>>Did I hit a "left-brained" nerve?    :---0
>
>I just get a little testy with the "how great my tunings are"
>attitudes I occasionally see on the List, so if that is a "left-brained
>nerve" , you hit it...
I'm sorry you got testy, but I reserve the right to love my work and the
results of my work.  Every single truly successful person I know holds a
paradox:  they absolutely know and have no problem expressing that they
are great at what they do, AND they also realize they are simply a humble
student, and know a ridiculously small amount about the subject or skill
they're trying to master......a paradox for victory, you might say.

I accept the efficacy of science, of logic, of reason and critical
thinking as applied to many aspects of piano work.  Can you accept the
miracle of sound itself, more complex than you could ever measure, the
reality and, yes, efficacy of intuitive and musical intelligence,
so-called "non-linear" or "non-rational" intelligence as applied to many
aspects of piano work?

Deeply curious as to your answer.......

Take a deep breath, David I.  We can debate with respect.....

David Andersen
MALIBU, CA