professional discount?

Wed, 14 Aug 2002 21:41:17 -0700

The only monetary discounts I give are for subcontracted work from other
technicians or to the trade (15%) and for multiple pianos at the same
location tuned on the same day.  I find that professional musicians are
often the most demanding and the attention needed for detailing the piano is
often greater.  I don't like to give discounts in advance of potential
referrals.  If someone is giving me a lot of referrals, I will be generous
in terms of "extras" during the service calls.  I may not charge them for a
quick call on a pedal that starts squeaking, update their appraisal for
insurance, spend a bit more time on the voicing and not charge them.  I
prefer to return the favor rather than put out a policy of a "discounted
price".  I have in the past offered discounts.  Invariably my discounted
price got misquoted as my real price and I ended up having to explain to a
"non discount" customer why they had to pay more.  It was a quick way to
lose a potential customer.  So I gave it up.

David Love