Stretch Vs.Temperament, (was Beat Rates)

A440A@AOL.COM A440A@AOL.COM
Thu, 15 Aug 2002 08:36:21 EDT

I wrotes:

Ron writes:
>Again, in theory, but I'm not sure that is the case in the piano. Of course
> they can be in phase and not be in acceptable  tune, but you already know
>that.

Um,  I am not sure I do know that.  If you have different rates of vibration,
how are they going to be in phase?
If the differences were large enough to form multiples of one another, I
could see it, but if you have a string going at 500 Hz and another at 501,
they won't have a very easy time of getting together, will they?
Ed