TuneLab File

Thu, 15 Aug 2002 20:43:08 +0200

David Andersen wrote:

> >>..........uses A3 at 0 cents offsets along with the outside
> >> notes to do a quadratic interpolated temperment curve,
>
> Uhh.........Ric........what in God's name are you talking about?
> Is this some sort of joke?
> Are you trying to make me feel like a pathetic loser?
> Well, you've done a great job.
> I'm rocking back and forth and sucking my thumb.
> In a fetal position.

er... I see a couple of you folks are not "acoustmed" as it
were to Tunelab. The quadratic interpolated curve is Robert
Scotts term for one of two ways he has for setting the
tuning for a given range in Tunelab 97.

The inclusion of the word temperament in that phrase is
mine... simply because the range in question is what I use
for the temperament in this 12ths tuning.

YOU should try this really David,,,, as I have a feeling it
pretty closely resembles your tuning style. And after
reading much of what you have had to say, and in particular
checking out (and confirming I might add) what you had to
say about 4ths I am more and more convinced that this 12ths
tuning has quite a bit in common with Virgils tuning style.

Let me ask you this...in checking a just tuned treble note,
play the 12th below against its major 6th below, and compare
the beat rate of this major sixth against the beat rate of
the note tuned against the lower note of that major sixth
(ie double octave and 3rd). Does the beat rate compare
pretty closely ? If its the same then you have a perfect
12th there.

I see the glint in your eye David :)

RicB