4ths, 12ths, great tunings

Ron Koval drwoodwind@hotmail.com
Fri, 16 Aug 2002 02:45:02 +0000

I've enjoyed reading about the 4ths tuning, and ric B's experiments with the
octave-fifth relational tuning.  I've also had the pleasure of experiencing
some of Virgil's tunings.

I've hesitated for some time, but would like to take this opportunity to
suggest the Verituner once again.  As good as the default tunings are, a few
of us are now using the custom style, which allows for balancing of
intervals while tuning.  Simply put, in the temperament octave, by balancing
between the 4:2 and the 6:3 octave width, the machine is able to let the
piano dictate how much stretch the calculated tuning will have.  Likewise,
in other regions of the piano, other combinations of intervals are compared
to come up with a blended, harmonious tuning.

Instead of a lot of work, or time to match the tuning to the piano, just
tune A4, A3, the octave between and then go up to the top, or down to the
bottom from the middle.  As long as you work from the middle out, the
Verituner is able to hear what it needs for calculations of the entire
piano.  (You could really tune in any order, but then a 2nd pass would be
recommended to give the machine a chance to use all 76 samples.)

I don't know how many others have tried the custom style yet, but it's all
described on the forum, on the Verituner website.  I've gotten some terrific

There really is something special to hear a tuning which is supported
end-to-end in a harmonic fashion.  It is especially eye-opening to hear this
on less than ideal instruments, without any more work than a normal tuning
appointment. You can read about the nuts and bolts online, or view a
demonstration of how to use the Verituner, or even go and hear how it works.
  What will make the real difference, is to find a way to go hear a tuning
calculated with a Verituner, using the custom style option.

(End of commercial, and no I don't have any financial stake in the company!)

Go and seek, and let the fourths be with you....

Ron Koval

Chicagoland