More dip in bass

Erwinspiano@AOL.COM Erwinspiano@AOL.COM
Thu, 15 Aug 2002 23:46:19 EDT

In a message dated 8/15/2002 8:19:23 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
fordpiano@earthlink.net writes:

> Subj:Re: More dip in bass
> Date:8/15/2002 8:19:23 PM Pacific Daylight Time
> From:<A HREF="mailto:fordpiano@earthlink.net">fordpiano@earthlink.net</A>
> To:<A HREF="mailto:pianotech@ptg.org">pianotech@ptg.org</A>
> Sent from the Internet
>

>   Hi Phil

      It's my prefrence to use dip as a priority measurement whenever
possible. It's not right or wrong but to me it's a very good base line
measurement that gives consistently good results with the pianos I most
frequently work on.
     I'm used to the feel of gauge I use to set it including the tactile
sense. Key repitition also is not compromised by certain sections of keys
traveling farther down than others.  In the bass keys we generally see more
key lead and therefore have more inertia which could add more time to the
keys cycle and many bass sections tend to be a little sluggish anyway due to
this.  Probably imperceptible but that's my rationale.
   Hammer blow adjustment is the easiest remedy to re-establish the feel
originally set with a more uniform dip/aftertouch and the variable blow
distance won't be that odd  nor that much. No appreciable loss of power..
I'm not saying that you'd see an uneven hammer line but the blow distance
would taper from bass to treble.
   The situation you describe is not all that common but either way
(graduated blow or/dip) is an appropriate fix as long as niether is extreme.
When it is extreme it's time to move capstans, get new keys or move action
rails.
   Clear as mud?___Dale Erwin