damper tool

David Ilvedson ilvey@sbcglobal.net
Fri, 16 Aug 2002 12:32:08 -0700

For some reason I can't get your attachment to open...

David I.

From: Ron & Lorene Shiflet <rshiflet@eaznet.com>
To: PTG - send/receive <pianotech@ptg.org>
Subject: damper tool

Dear list,
  About 10 years ago, I modified a tool for damper work and have never regretted it.  I have attached a photo and we'll see if this list allows photo's attached.  Anyway, I felt frustrated with the regular damper tool because it doesn't always get in the hard to reach places such as on a spinet.  I'm doing a Betsy Ross right now and I assure you a regular tool does not get in there.
  I ordered an extra damper tool and cut the head of very carefully with a jewelers saw.  Then, I took the head, turned it to a pure 90 degree angle and silver soldered it back on.  (Note, you can't use hardware store silver solder, you must get the real silver solder from a welding supply.  It uses fluorides for flux).
    The advantage of this tool is that it allows you to access a damper directly from above.  This modified tool will not always work nor is it a substitute for the standard tool however, there are times when this tool will get in there and the other one won't.  I tend to use it on older smaller pianos when the entire bass section of dampers lifts prematurely and will no longer push against the strings, especially in the lower end when the cabinet prevent the correct tool from getting in there at the right angle.

    I hope this helps someone out.  The photo isn't real wonderful.  If by chance the list server doesn't allow this photo to show, email me at

rshiflet@eaznet.com and I'll send you the photo.  The top tool is the normal tool and the lower tool is the same tool modified.

Ron Shiflet