"harpicks solvent"?/RicB

Sat, 17 Aug 2002 12:25:27 +0200

This has been up a few times, tho I suppose the English
terms are used.

Harpiks solvent is a clumsy formulation on my part... but it
is dilluted Harpiks.... or Rosin dilluted (in alcohol I
believe).

For anyone who has the slightest doubt about the terms resin
and rosin I submit the following :

Rosin
   NOUN:
   A translucent yellowish to dark brown resin derived from
the stumps or sap of
   various pine trees and used to increase sliding friction,
as on the bows of
   certain stringed instruments, and to manufacture a wide
variety of products
   including varnishes, inks, linoleum, adhesives, and
soldering compounds.

   TRANSITIVE VERB:
   Inflected forms: ros·ined, ros·in·ing, ros·ins To coat or
rub with rosin.

   ETYMOLOGY:
   Middle English, variant of resin. See resin.

Resin

    NOUN:
    1. Any of numerous clear to translucent yellow or brown,
solid or semisolid,
    viscous substances of plant origin, such as copal,
rosin, and amber, used
    principally in lacquers, varnishes, inks, adhesives,
synthetic plastics, and
    pharmaceuticals. 2. Any of numerous physically similar
polymerized synthetics
    or chemically modified natural resins including
thermoplastic materials such 		    as polyvinyl,
polystyrene, and polyethylene and thermosetting materials
such 		    as polyesters, epoxies, and silicones that are
used with fillers, 				    stablizers, pigments, and other
components to form plastics.

    TRANSITIVE VERB:
    Inflected forms: res·ined, res·in·ing, res·ines To treat
or rub with resin.

    ETYMOLOGY:
    Middle English, from Old French resine, from Latin rsna,
from Greek dialectal