May the 4ths be with you

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@cox.net
Sat, 17 Aug 2002 21:07:02 -0500

>Interesting thought, using the 4ths as a vernier
>for setting more exact fifths. It's what we do,
>only maybe we didn't pay attention to it. I "temper"
>fourths, fifths, and octaves all the way to the
>top. I haven't concentrated on hearing fourths
>carefully in the bass, however, especially in
>the low bass.
>
>Susan

I pay attention to it. I use the fourth/fifth check to the top, and in the
bass as well, to quickly separate the random coincident garbage from the
real coincident garbage and help decide (with the double and triple octave
as necessary) which garbage to try and minimize. We are what we eat, and we
tune what we find as best...

You can always tell an expert by the number of decimal places at which they
guess.

Ron N