E.T.D.

Ron Koval drwoodwind@hotmail.com
Mon, 19 Aug 2002 01:55:13 +0000

David wrote

Ron,

I don't believe the SAT, Verituner listen to lower partials/fundemental at
all do they?  I believe they are using upper partials for all measuring...?

David I.

I'm more concerned with what they listen to while tuning, not measuring.
Since during the measuring phase, the machine then makes the assumption of
what the other string's Ih will be.  Once we move on to the tuning phase,
only a single partial will be listened to, in the hopes that the other
partials will behave.  (the VT works a little differently)  So, if you
check, all the machines have their favorite default partials to use for
different parts of the scale. Depending on the piano, the weather, the phase
of the moon, your personal mood, that may or may not be the best partial to
choose for that particular moment.  THAT, is the best reason to learn your
machine well, and how to tweak the tuning, so the machine can produce what
your ear is yearning to hear.

Ron Koval