Damper Wire Screws

Gordon Holley gholley@hi-techhousing.com
Tue, 20 Aug 2002 13:59:02 -0500

List.  I am in need of a few (4) damper lifter wire screws for a
Starr 5' Grand, 1936.  Have tried most local hardward stores, Ace,
Lowes, a couple speciality fastener suppliers, etc. and basically the
same results.  Nothing!.
This screw is brass and screws into a brass barrel nut in the damper
lifter flange.  Bob Davis - you'll remember this. The screw diameter
is .095, screw length is 8.732 mm, thread length is 7.144 mm.  The
thread gauge is metric and neither I nor any store had a metric
thread gauge.
So hopefully with what I can give you may help, especially if someone
has an old action laying around.
What I have found is a .097 diameter screw, however the additional
.002 in diameter will not allow the screw to be threaded into the
barrel nut.
The screws for the newer actions, i.e. C. Walter Piano Co, grands,
won't work, too short and wrong dia.
Dave at Schaff is helping to look for this screw.
Any assistance on this search would be greatly appreciated.
Regards, Gordon Holley, Goshen, "Back Home Again In Indiana"