Chasing Damp

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Tue, 20 Aug 2002 18:25:17 -0400

Ya know, on second thought, that 4 cents of pitch wandering isn't really any problem at all. I think I enjoyed it! No complaints from me. Nope, not at all!!!   :-)

Terry Farrell

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ron Nossaman" <RNossaman@cox.net>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Tuesday, August 20, 2002 5:33 PM
Subject: Chasing Damp

Man, am I jealous of Terry Farrell's Dampp Chaser heat escapement and
resulting tuning problems. I've spent the last couple of days tuning [sic]
a dozen pianos in one of the colleges I service. It's the one with the
nicest pianos, the friendliest, most appreciative and accommodating
denizens, and the lousiest climate control. All those instruments I pulled
WAY up in January (72-77° with 20-28%RH), just got knocked WAY back down
(65-72° with 72-79%RH) this 90° August week. In October, I'll pull the half
dozen or so I tuned way down in June way back up in anticipation of pulling
the pianos I just knocked WAY down, WAY back up again in January. WAY way
WAY way WAY way WAY way... Gads. I even float the pitch on most of them
some, or it would be worse yet.

Yes Don <G>, they need Dampp Chasers. Three actually have them installed.
Did it myself some years back. One of them was even plugged in this time,
though I suspect it was just barely in time to get the bar warm before I
showed up yesterday morning.

SHazbat.

Ron N