Bridge notching

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@cox.net
Wed, 21 Aug 2002 12:29:00 -0500

>Rattling around in my brain is the factoid (or perhaps it's an imaginoid) that
>at least one manufacturer (Boesendorfer is the name that comes to mind)
>deliberately notch their bridges so that the edge of the notch does not bisect
>the bridge pin hole (I believe they cut the notches deep, but even that is
>hazy in my memory).
>
>Phil F

I don't remember specifically who does this, but it is done deliberately,
is not that uncommon, and doesn't in itself cause any tonal problems, like
false beats (as is still being taught) or rampant whanging. Like Ed said,
the notch not deep enough is much more likely to have a negative effect on
tone quality (clarity, sustain), though doesn't necessarily make unwanted
noise either.

Ron N