Unison Flatter than each Individual string?

Tom Servinsky tompiano@gate.net
Wed, 21 Aug 2002 22:21:40 -0400

Susan,
The pros and cons of single mute tuning:
First the pros..
a. Your unisons will improve dramatically vs tuning with a strip mute.  When
you realize that you cannot go further on in the tuning until the unison is
absolutely clean you pay more attention to those pesky details
b. The octave stretch, believe it or not, is better calibrated when you are
using the result of 3 tuned strings  of a unison vs 1 tune string.

Cons:
a. At first, single mute tuning requires a great deal of energy and
attention.
Until this technique is mastered tuning time will be increased. However once
you have become accustomed to this technique tuning time will resemble that
of a strip mute tuning.

I must admit I enjoy single mute tuning if I have the right instrument and
when I have ample time to enjoy the ride.  The result usually pays for
itself.  However I also will admit I wouldn't dare nor care to do this with
a majority of the instruments I see.
I agree with Ted using the technique as a "refresher" course.  Personally I
think it forces you to be a better tuner.
Tom Servinsky, RPT